THE MOST POPULAR ‘TAX EFFECTIVE’ WAY TO RUN YOUR NEW VEHICLE using your pre-tax dollars!
Get your pre-tax money working for you
Anyone on PAYG using their new vehicle for PRIVATE or BUSINESS use can get a Novated Lease and START SAVING TODAY!
Bundle up your finance and running costs using your pre tax dollars and start SAVING THOUSANDS today!
NOVATED LEASING is a term that's genuinely worth getting your head, and your hip-pocket around!
wHAT IS A NOVATED LEASE?
A regular loan is paid using your post-tax salary, meaning whatever is left in your bank account after you’ve paid tax, whereas with a novated car lease the lease and running costs are bundled together and paid with your pre-tax dollars.
A Novated lease is in your name, but it a 3-way agreement between you, your employer and the lease finance company.
1. Your vehicle payments include all the running expenses, are taken from your pre-tax salary, so regardless of what scale of tax you pay, there’s always going to be a benefit.
2. We calculate a vehicle expense budget based on the estimated number of kilometres to be travelled, covering the entire period of the lease for all operating costs associated with the motor vehicle including fuel, maintenance, registration, tyres and insurance.
So not only do your dollars go further, but you’re lowering your taxable income at the same time.
3. We charge an administration fee and, after you and your employer sign some paperwork, we do most of the work. Your salary is then altered through your company’s pay office, just as if you were making additional contributions to your superannuation fund.
Novated Finance Lease (non-maintained) – just the vehicle is leased and the employee pays for their own running costs
Fully Maintained Novated Lease – the vehicle and running costs are bundled into the lease. One regular payroll deduction over the lease term takes care of your vehicle – No hidden surprises.
Under a Novated Lease you sacrifice some or all of the deductions in pre-tax salary, therefore reducing your taxable income providing you with substantial tax benefits and savings.
By Australian Tax law the leasing company must pay the dealership the GST included in the purchase. However the leasing company is then free to claim 100% of the GST payment from the ATO. So the amount you finance for the Novated Lease does not include the GST amount.
Therefore you do not pay GST on a Novated Lease car.
Then the payments on the lease include GST however these are claimed by your employer and the tax savings are passed backed to you.
Some or all of the deductions are pre-tax salary, therefore reducing your taxable income providing you with substantial tax benefits and more take home pay.
NSP manages all your vehicle’s expenses, including FUEL – MAINTENANCE – REGISTRATION – TYRES – INSURANCE saving you the inconvenience of any out of pocket expenses.
The major benefit of a multi branded fuel card is CHOICE. You can use the fuel merchant of your CHOICE! You can conveniently fill up knowing that your fuel is already covered IN YOUR PACKAGE and you can still use your shopper dockets to give you even greater discounted fuel!
For Example: Office Employee
For Example: Sales Rep
TOP 6 EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
- It’s both cost and tax effective. Your salary packaged vehicle costs can be paid from your income. As most of this (if not all) will be using pre-tax dollars, you’ll enjoy a lower rate of tax on the benefit than if you were to pay for the running costs of the vehicle using after tax income. You save money.
Because you have reduced your taxable income, you get taxed on a lower amount, effectively taking home more money!
- Under a novated lease, the financier applies an Input Tax Credit (ITC) to remove the GST from the amount financed. This means that your repayments will be lower as you finance a reduced, GST-exclusive amount.
- The vehicle is yours to use 100% of the time and there are no restrictions on who can drive it.
- Your lease and your vehicle are transferable. If you change jobs, you can enter into another novation agreement with your new employer.
- By bundling finance and running costs into one easy payment from your pay makes it very convenient and easy.
- Fill up with a fuel card. Simply present your card at participating service stations to quickly and easily purchase fuel, with no out of pocket expenses.
- Save time and money by utilising our buying power to secure that vehicle, rather than just walking into a dealership and our unique online reverse auction AutoTender
- Additionally, you benefit from any equity built up in the vehicle during the term of the lease. Any profit realised on the sale of the vehicle at the end of the lease is tax-free.
- Lease repayments are fixed for the term of the lease.
- You can select flexible lease terms from 12 to 60 months (one to five years)
- We help choose the lease term that suits your budget and running expenses to maximise the savings
there are 2 types of novated leases
There are two methods available to determine the value of a car fringe benefit for FBT purposes: We will help you with the method that suits your position and circumstances.
1. ECM – Employee Contribution Method using the: The STATUTORY FORMULA method
2. OCM – Operating Cost Method: The OPERATING COST method (log book)
A car fringe benefit arises where a car that is held by the employer (or an associate of the employer) is provided to an employee and is either:
- applied to a private use by the employee, or
- taken to be available for private use by the employee.
A car is considered ‘held’ where it is owned, or leased, or hired on a long-term basis or on substantially continuous short-term hire. Arrangements with external car leasing providers fall within the definition of ‘held’ More information on car fringe benefits is available on the ATO website.
WHAT ARE THE 2 KEYS TO A SUCCESSFUL NSP NOVATED LEASE?
If not done correctly - YOU COULD BE MISSING OUT ON THOUSANDS OF your $$$
The KEYS to getting the best Novated Lease is an artwork and to do it successfully requires having all the tools and know-how.
- Qualification. You need to make sure you are on the right Salary Package for your situation. This will ensure you on the best interest rate and the best Tax Strategy to suit your position.
- Buying the right car at the best price. This means, less interest, lower re-payments and more profit for you at the end of the lease if you decide to sell it.
Note: With 30 years in the industry, you can rest assured you are getting the right vehicle at the best price that is personally tailored to suit your employees needs and budget.
Most frequent questions and answers
Ask your new employer if they allow Salary Packaging, and if so, contact NSP and we’ll arrange payroll deductions with your new employer.
The novated lease agreement will end with your current employer. But the finance lease between you and your finance company can remain intact. You just keep making the lease payments. But of course this means you can’t package any of the repayments or gain any tax benefits. If you wish to finalise your lease contract early, you have to contact the finance company to talk about finalising any amount owing on the vehicle
You can pay out your lease early but you need to check and get a payout figure to see if the remaining balance is in line with the market value of your car. We would recommend getting to the 75% point of your lease before breaking it early.
When your lease comes to its end, you can purchase the vehicle, and you’ll need to pay out any residual value, arrears or overdue interest. Or, if you wish to purchase the car, you can refinance it for a new term. Another option is to replace the car with another, and take out a new agreement
This is the amount left owing on the vehicle at the end of the lease term. This is a fixed amount that is set at the start of the lease. Residuals help to keep monthly repayments down.
Yes, as long as the car is no older than 8 years of age at the end of the lease.